Queen's was the first Canadian
University west of the Maritimes to open its doors to students. A royal
Charter incorporating "Queen's College at Kingston" was granted
by Her Majesty, Queen Victoria, on October 16, 1841 and the first session
began March 7, 1842.
Beginning as an Arts and Theological College with two professors and
ten students, Queen's has grown to a university with an annual enrollment
of approximately 16,000 students. Queen's has five mahjor faculties
and four schools. Queen's has always been known for its high academic
standards. The link with St. Andrews goes back to 1947 when the
first exchange was started. One of the Scottish traditions that Queen's
has inherited is the position of Rectory. The primary function of the
Rector is to serve as the students' only full voting member on the Board
of Trustees. The Rector also serves on a wide variety of University
committees, is an observer to the senate, and consults regularly with
senior administrative officers.
The scholarships have a value of CAN$6,000.